Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Even if you’ve had a kitten, before, it’s a good idea to remind yourself of the basic healthcare that will keep your pet in tip-top condition. If you haven’t had a cat before, we can provide you with plenty of information on taking the best care of your new friend.
Once you’ve settled your kitten into her new home, with a safe, warm bed to call her own, and a litter tray on hand, it’s time to plan her healthcare schedule. Maintaining regular annual health checks and keeping up to date with simple preventative measures of vaccinations and treatment for fleas and worms will ensure that your new kitten gets off to the best start for a long and happy life.
The main areas to consider are:
- Flea Control
You’ll find more details on each of these topics on this website, and of course, we’re always here to help with any questions or advice. Please just ask at reception.
Ten top tips for responsible cat owners:
Owning a cat is both a joy and a responsibility, and by following just a few simple recommendations, you can keep her healthy and happy and you will thoroughly enjoy your years together.
1. Spend quality time with your cat every day. Although she doesn’t need to be taken for a walk, playing games with her and giving her attention is important in bonding with her.
2. Groom regularly, including the awkward bits! And brush her teeth too (ideally, every day).
3. Take her to the vet for an annual health examination.
4. Booster vaccinations against the important infectious diseases must be given every year.
5. Have her spayed, and him castrated, for their health’s sake.
6. Use effective flea-control measures all year round.
7. De-worm at least every three months.
8. Get insurance to cover veterinary costs
9. Feed the best quality food you can – a premium-quality dry biscuit diet is usually best.
10. Have an identity microchip implanted.