The practice origins can be traced back to around 1926, when the Principal was J.G.Wright, who later became Professor of Surgery and the Principal of Liverpool University Veterinary School. He was a pioneer in the field of anaesthetics. At this time, the practice was located in Fitzalan Place.
The surgery was later moved to Newport Road, and then it moved again in 1959 when Lewis Jessop took over. The present premises in Whitchurch Road originally housed the surgery on the ground floor while Mr & Mrs Jessop and family lived above.
Lewis decided to stop treating farm animals and horses, instead specialising in Small Animal medicine and surgery. This was a rare innovation at the time, and under his adept guidance, the practice flourished and gained a reputation for its high standards. The workload grew, and the surgery expanded up the stairs, taking over the first floor. (The Jessop family moved out!) Eventually, there were four veterinary surgeons at 326 Whitchurch Road.
In 1987, Lewis Jessop retired, and the partnership of Marina Crockford and Chris Troughton, took over the reins. The standards of care were maintained at the highest level, and the facilities and services were continually upgraded. A large extension was built, housing a new operating theatre and hospital wards. Recent investment has enabled the practice to remain at the forefront of modern veterinary practice, with fibre optic endoscopes, a new powerful X-ray machine, ultrasound imaging, and extensive laboratory analysers to improve diagnosis. Marina Crockford retired from the partnership in 2003.
In 1989, the practice became fully computerised, with all patient records since that time being stored on the computer. At that time, computers in veterinary practices were relatively uncommon, but the benefits were soon obvious - easy access to case records, no more lost filing cards, accurate prescribing of drugs, to name but a few. Since then, many other vets have started using computers, but we are proud to have been pioneers.
Two branch surgeries were opened in Cyncoed and Rhiwbina in 1995. In 2007, the Rhiwbina branch was completely restructured into a new purpose-built surgery, with full surgical, medical and diagnostic facilities, and in 2008 the practice relocated its headquarters there. The Whitchurch Road surgery remains as a branch surgery. The advanced computer system means that the three surgeries are always linked together and patients’ notes are available to the vets wherever they are needed.
As we enter the 21st century, the practice philosophy is to ensure we remain in the vanguard of technological medicine without losing the personal caring relationship we have with our patients and clients.